• 1st & 2nd Floor, 112-116 Whitechapel Road, London, E1 1JE (+44) 020 8087 2343   Mon-Fri: 10am-7pm (23rd Dec-1st Jan Office closed)
blog image

UK Tier 1 Investor Visa

From 17th Feb, Tier 1 Investor visa is closed for application by the Home Office. However, if you already hold a Tier 1 Investor visa, you are able to extend your visa.

For more information please read:


What is an Investor visa?

An Investor Visa is for people who want to invest £2 million or more in the UK. It is a visa for the UK government to attract high-net-worth individuals to invest in the UK.

You can stay a maximum of 3 years and 4 months under Investor Visa. You can extend this visa for another 2 years. You can bring dependents (spouse and children under 18) to the UK.

Investor Visa can lead to settlement in the UK

  • - If you invest £2 million, you can apply for a settlement after 5 years.
  • - If you invest £5 million, you can apply for a settlement after 3 years.
  • - If you invest £10 million, you can apply for a settlement after 2 years.

An Investor Visa allows you to work and study. However, you cannot work as a doctor or dentist in training.

What are the requirements for an Investor Visa?

  • - must have at least £2,000,000 investment funds (in the UK or overseas), you need to prove the money belongs to either you or your partner
  • - you funds must be held in regulated financial institutions
  • - your funds must be free to spend in the UK
  • - have opened an account at a UK regulated bank to use for your funds
  • - must be 18 years old or above

Did you know?

The Investor visa scheme does not require applicants for academic qualifications, English language, management experience.

How much does it cost to apply for an Investor Visa?

The fees include an Application Fee of £1,623 and a Healthcare surcharge fee of £624 per year.

Processing time

After submitting your online application, normally you’ll get a decision within 3 weeks if you’re outside the UK.

Requirements about investment funds:

  • You must have at least £2 million in your own money, under your own management, kept in a regulated financial institution, and disposable in the UK.
  • You must demonstrate your ability to invest £2 million or more in the UK. This money might be kept overseas at the time of application, or it could be in the UK already.
  • You may rely on money owned jointly or entirely by your husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner. To have control of this money in the UK, you must have unlimited right to transfer and dispose of it, as well as approval from your husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner. In the section on supporting documents, you must provide evidence of your partnership as well as authorization to utilise the joint money.
  • If the funds are not kept in pounds sterling, you must convert their value on the application form. The Home Office will verify the conversion using the currency rate displayed on the Oanda website on the day the application was submitted. in the name of anyone else.

About your money

  • You may use, as evidence of funds, investments made in the UK within the 12 months immediately before the date of the application, provided they are held in a UK regulated financial institution.
  • You may not use assets or possessions such as property as evidence of your funds for investment.
  • In all cases you (or you and/or your husband, wife, civil partner, or unmarried or same-sex partner) must be the beneficial owner of the funds and not holding the investments on behalf of anyone else.

If you have more questions relating to Investor Visa or want to discuss your specific situation with us, please contact us at: info@workpermitcloud.co.uk

How can we help

At WorkPermitCloud Limited, we have a dedicated team to assist you in your visa application process. We also offer professional immigration advice regulated by Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC). Our Founder and Managing Director Md Lutfur Rahman (FCILEx) has more than 20 years of experience in immigration services.

We offer:

  1. Support by a dedicated and experienced immigration advisor
  2. Accurately identify the type of visa application
  3. Check supporting documents, and advise necessary amends
  4. Assist in filling out the visa application form(s)
  5. Check and review your application before submitting it to the Home Office
  6. Submit your visa application on your behalf to the Home Office
  7. Act as your agent for all communication with the Home Office, up to and including the receiving of your visa application's decision
  8. Provide professional Immigration advice by letter, email, phone, or in-person throughout the process of completing your visa application as needed
  9. Once you've got a decision on your visa application, give professional guidance on what to do next.
  10. Cost forecast
  11. Correspondence and follow up with Home Office


Common FAQ about Investor visa

Do I need to move my funds to the UK before applying for a Tier 1 Investor visa?

No. You can rely on funds stored in an overseas financial institution if the funds are readily transferrable to the UK and the financial institution is ready to certify this in writing.

Do I need a UK bank account?

Yes. You must have established an account with an FCA-regulated financial institution in order to invest at least £2 million in the UK.

Do I need to prove the source of my funds?

The Immigration Rules do not require any mandatory evidence of the source of funds where the funds have been held. The Home Office, on the other hand, has the authority to deny an Investor visa application if it is not satisfied that the money were received legally. We strongly advise all clients to provide evidence to establish the provenance of their funds.

Does the Tier 1 Investor visa lead to settlement in the UK?

Yes. According to Home Office guidelines, if you invest at least £2 million into permitted investments and maintain your investment, you may be eligible for settlement once you have resided in the UK as a Tier 1 Investor for a continuous period of 5 years.

If you invest £5 million, you can apply for a settlement after 3 years. If you invest £10 million, you can apply for a settlement after 2 years.






Md Lutfur Rahman FCILEx

Immigration Advisor and Commissioner of Oath

Managing Director

Work Permit Cloud Limited

Let us help you with your Skilled Worker Sponsor Licence UK